Monday, November 9, 2009

Street Tacos

This isn't so much a recipe, as an assemblage. So, easy, easy, easy. I fell in love with "street tacos" in Tijuana and crave them about once a month. Here is our version.

Corn tortillas- Corn tortillas instead of flour. Much more flavor! I sprinkle them with water and then heat them in the microwave for about 25 seconds to make them pliable.

Chicken- Cut up into small pieces and sauteed with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. But you can season them however you like. The simpler the better.

OR/ But Not Both!


Hamburger- Browned with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. You could also use actual cuts of meat cut into small pieces and browned.

White Onions- Cut very small. Do not cook these!

Cilantro- Taken off the stems and roughly chopped.

Limes- Cut into wedges to squeeze onto the tacos.

And that is it. Five ingredients. Assemble. You can add avocado or salsa, or get creative, but I find I don't like them as much when we add too many ingredients. A super fast and relatively healthy dinner. Like I said, not exactly a secret recipe handed down from my grandmother, but I get requests every time I've made them for people. I tell them it's just what they see, but they swear there is some trick. No trick. You can double the tortillas for a heftier taco... but ya, no real science to this.

1 comment: